Portuguese Heartier Full Version

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Match 1: FSF vs. Foradori

FSF 2004 vs. Foradori 2006
 It was a great kick-off, but the wines did not surpass our expectations. The first thing we, your faithful commentator and the Brutal Judge, noticed was how different both wines were. As it was a blind tasting, I shall not address them by name.

The first wine had a beautiful ruby red color. The second was darker and more mysterious. When it comes to the nose, the first one was an explosion of red berries and vanilla, with hints of something like rosemary or sage. Very fragrant indeed. The second wine was less prone to our noses, but smelled of black berries, a bit of sweet cherry and a slight presence of tobacco.

Both wines were fairly different in color.
When we tasted wine number one, all that fruit from the nose was left behind. However, there were delicious hints of plums, some dried fruit and green olives, with a long, delicate finish. Too bad it didn't have much of a body. The second wine presented hints of blackberries and violets, with a short, but nice finish. This one lacked body as well.

You can still see the stickers on the glasses.
A decision had to be made and it was a difficult process. The Brutal Judge thought the second wine showed potential, your faithful commentator preferred the first one. After giving it much thought and consideration, the Brutal Judge changed his mind and voted for the first one. Its identity was then revealed: the label read FSF 2004. All in all, not a spectacular wine, but a worthy winner. I guess I failed my first prediction when I said Foradori would win the match.

4 comments:

  1. You failed your prediction, but I didn't, haha! I am not sure about next match though. I just put Dona Maria as the winner because it comes from Alentejo and some of us are a tad biased in what regards wines from that region. But I start to believe more and more in the Sicilian alternative somehow.

    Regarding the winner of the whole tournament, I deeply hope you're WRONG. It would make my whole enological world collapse if a wine from Chile wins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's 1-0 to Brutal Juiz! About the tournament winner, you cannot really rule out a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot-Cabernet Franc blend from the New World. My heart tells me Passadouro wins the WC, but rationally I can't help but think that Erasmo has a great chance of winning it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course Erasmo has a real chance of winning. I just prefer to believe we have a better taste for wine than that simplicity of a recipe with Cab-Cab-Merlot, probably topped with a large amount of new French oak. However, if Erasmo also achieves something close to the complexity and structure of a REAL Bordeaux, besides the simple explosion of berries and vanilla that it promises, than we are talking about a great wine indeed. But I doubt so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the first match, I do agree that it was a tough call. FSF had a more interesting bouquet and a more distinct finish. Foradori was more delicate and somewhat sweeter with less of an aftertaste. Although I am not the judge, I opted for FSF... I hope that the two judges will allow me to participate in some of the future matches :)

    ReplyDelete